Wednesday 25 May 2011

Siesta time is no joke

I´m starting to take siesta time very seriously.  Not only does it keep me out of the hot afternoon sun, it´s a great opportunity for me to rest me sore knees and hips. A couple of days ago we decided to walk to the next town, unfortunately we ended up walking right in the middle of the afternoon.  It was unbelievable.  Even after a cold shower and some ice cream, my body was still radiating heat. 

For people going to World Youth Day this August, I recommend that you don´t see siesta time as a novelty, but you actually use it as time to rest and stay inside.  They days are long here, so you´ll have lots of time to do things in the evening once the weather has cooled down.  When I go to bed at 9 (you would too if you were in my shoes), it is still very bright out and looks like it could be the afternoon.  All that stuff that we were told in school about hats, sunblock, etc., it´s all true.  You should use them!  I usually never wear hats until I got here. Mind you, my hat makes me look like I should be working in the paddy fields, but it´s not about style.

The camino is a place where you can meet a lot of people, even people you haven´t seen for ages.  A couple days ago there were two men that had met after 40 years of not seeing each other.  It was completely by chance.  They had gone to university together when they were in there 20s and then one day 40 years later when they turned a corner they were suddenly reunited! It wasn´t planned or anything!  It was great to see something like that happen and to watch them joke with each other.  After 40 years apart they still had very similar humour. 

Heard that the Canucks are going to the finals. That´s great!  Go Canucks Go!

3 comments:

  1. Aiden, you must all keep your hats soaked with water, evapouration will keep your heads magiclly cool. It is an army trick that dates back to the Romans, and is stiil used today.
    Bill Beaton
    wmbeaton58@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up, Crystal!
    Guess I'll have to give in and bring a hat, too :S
    Sounds like you guys are having an amazing time!
    Can't wait to read more :)

    - Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Megan,
    I was totally thinking of you. Let your group know about the heat. It´s not something to mess around with here.

    ReplyDelete