Sunday 22 May 2011

Only mad dogs and English men walk in the mid-day sun

That´s what a Swedish pilgrim told us one hot afternoon, and I couldn´t agree with him more.      
At a albergue (pilgrim hostel) in Pamplona.

Cleaning up after dinner.  We´ve been buying ingredients and making our own dinners in an effort to save money.  It´s worth it.  We usually only spend around 10 euros each night and it feeds all three of us. 

I am the dog whisperer.  I miss my dog.

For those of you on Beard Watch, this is the current state of the banditos that I´m traveling with. It gets more and more grizzly each day.
On the first day we climbed an elevation gain of 1400 metres.  It was exhausting and beautiful all at the same time. 
That´s what a Swedish pilgrim told us one hot afternoon, and I couldn´t agree with him more. We´re on day 6 of our trip.  It´s starting to become routine.  Everyday we wake up around 6am. You´ll usually start to hear people rustling in the dorms by 5:30.  We try and hit the road early so that we can start walking before it gets hot, which is usually around noon.  There´s a reason why there´s a siesta time, it gets so hot out.  Once we start on the road my main objective is to just keep walking. My muscles have adjusted, and I don´t have too many blisters, but my feet do get extremely sore. Please keep checking to blog and we´ll all try to keep it updated.  See also Kuya Marks blog for more photos.  Hope everything at home is going well.  Heard that the Canucks lost.  Oh well....still got game 4...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Crystal! I see you're traveling with monks! :) Making your own dinners is a great idea. You can save money for pasalubong! ;) Lovely photo of the dogs. I suddenly miss Boogie, the St. Bernard of my childhood (a friend's dog). Great photos and love the little stories :) Looking forward to more updates.
    love, ex-newtown girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ex-newtown girl. How are things? Yes, they are definitely monk look alikes. Today we saw an actually Franciscan walking back to the Abbey. He was walking with his hood up and barefoot. I thought of you when I saw it and how you joked that Aiden would do the Camino on his knees. I´ll have to share more when I have some time.

    ReplyDelete